Even though I’ve been making my own comics my own way for a long time, I love to see how others approach making comics, too. Sometimes I steal their tricks, sometimes it’s just interesting to see how others do what they do, even if it doesn’t change my process.
Here are some of my favorite resources….
- 13 THINGS You Didn’t Know About Comic-Book Lettering : the unsung art, explained, by Nate Piekos.
- How to Use the Ames Lettering Guide : Brad Guigar demos this classic lettering tool!
- Nate Piekos on the conventions of comic book lettering : Nate Piekos shares some unique grammatical & aesthetic traditions from the world of comic book lettering.
- Todd Klein on lettering : master comic book letterer Todd Klein’s portal on lettering.
- Todd Klein’s Logo studies : wherein Todd Klein deconstructs dozens of comic book logos (by himself & others)!
- Colleen Coover’s coloring (and drawing) tutorial for Bandette : an example of her (nearly) completely digital way of making comics.
- Beyond Photocopies: cost-effective color enhancements for your comics : notes from a panel discussion I hosted at SPACE 2005.
DIY: minicomics & digest tutorials
- Making Mini-Comics by the late, great Tom Spurgeon.
- The Cartoonist Conspiracy Li’l Library Volume 1 : How to Make Mini-Comics — a printable .pdf!
- Jessica Abel goes well beyond just the basics in her diy: making minicomics article.
- The 8-step Guide to Creating and Publishing Your Own Comic Book by Tammy Coron.
- Tips and Tricks: How to Make a Minicomic courtesy of Big Time Attic.
- Sergio Aragones, cartoonist : the official website of Mad magazine’s marginal maestro.
- Byrne Robotics : the official John Byrne website.
- Paul Chadwick : cartoonist, writer, creator of Concrete.
- scottmccloud.com: inventions : the 24-hour comic & other conceptual comic forms from the author of Understanding comics.
- Ty Templeton’s ART LAND!! : the online home of the Eisner Award-winning cartoonist.
Writers on writing
- John Ostrander: Writing Rules : advice from the playwright & comic book writer (short version).
- Kurt Vonnegut’s Rules for the Short Story : he only has eight of them.
- The Lester Dent Pulp Paper Master Fiction Plot : Lester Dent’s method for writing Doc Savage (and other) pulp novels.
Just for fun
- The Grand Comics Database : a nonprofit, internet-based organization of international volunteers dedicated to building an open database covering all printed comics throughout the world.
- “The Newstand” at Mike’s Amazing World of Comics : view comic covers from the specific month when they were published, from 1934-present.
- 24-Hour Comics Day : the annual celebration where creators take on the challenge to create a 24 page comic book story in 24 straight hours.
- ComicList : the new comic book releases list.